O'GEE Portable Circular Saw Crosscut Sled

 


Todays post is on a tool I haven't been able to find anything about on the web. It's an O'GEE Portable Circular Saw Crosscut Sled. It's pretty cool actually and will come in handy. It's also one less thing I thought of making I won't have to make now that I have this one. Since I haven't found anything about it on the web, I'd thought I'd show you the one I have in case you run into one and wonder, "Just what the heck is this thing?"

Of course it didn't come to me as you see it above. Though pretty much complete it needed a new sacrificial board and the screws to hold it in place. That was a tough part actually as it requires a 3/8 inch sacrificial board. Especially if I was going to use my 5-1/2 inch Ryobi Circular saw seen in the picture as the rail needs to move over the sacrificial board and partly use it for support. 

Try finding a board exactly 3/8 of an inch these days at your local box store, it ain't happening. At least I couldn't find one. So I bought a bought what they call 3/8 inch hobby board which is cheap enough and planned on gluing a piece of 1/16th inch mat board to it to make it full 3/8 inch. But as fate would have it, I was helping a friend with their attic and low and behold there was a piece of 3/8 inch 50 year old plywood in good shape just lying up there way in the back. Since I was making a new cat walk, they gave me the old piece of wood. A quick sanding, and a couple coats of water based urethane (which really isn't necessary) and it fit perfectly. Some new SS #6 x 1/2 screws and washers to hold it in place and that was done.

It needed to be cleaned up and once the rails were waxed, the circular saw slides nicely down the sled rails. The outer most rail is stationary, while the inner rail is adjustable side to side so you can fit it to your circular saw shoe. I haven't used it yet as you can see. And the reason for that is I'm not sure if I want to use my 5-1/2 inch cordless or wait and use it with a 7-1/2 inch. Plus I don't think I have the right blade one would use for molding or crosscutting for my circular saw at the moment. The idea being you use the same saw, with the same blade and that will make a cut line down the sacrificial board you can use to line up the cuts with.

Here's another shot of just the sled by itself.


To the right you see a guide to set the angle 45 degree in either direction. 

Here's another image showing the angle fence closer up:


You simply loosen the black knob on the angle fence and move it to the desired angle. I don't know if the hole you see in the center was factory or something someone drilled into it after. I don't know what it would be for. If you know, please leave the info in the comments.

And a better picture of the miter angle indicators and the name O'GEE:


As you can see above has angle indicators at 90, 11, 13.5, 15.5, 20, 22.5, 30, 35.3 40 and 45 degrees.
There's also a fence that can be used at the top at 90.

It's made from some sort of plastic, what kind I don;t know. It doesn't seem brittle like an ABS so possibly a poly of some sort. And it's fairly thick plastic. Very sturdy once placed on the bench with plenty of feet for support as you can see in the image below showing a shot of the bottom side.


The rails are tightened with wingnuts and below you can see 2 of the 6 screws I replaced to hold the sacrificial board in place.


As mentioned I haven't used it yet. But someone got some use out of it. I can't answer as to how accurate the angle indicators are yet but I would suspect like most things, one would check your angles with a square before making the cut. The old saying of measure twice, cut once comes to mind.

As far as what I did find on the web, I found that Fuller tools has a miter guide by OGEE. OGEE is a Canadian company from what I understand. But, I don't know if it is indeed the exact same OGEE that made this one. The reason being, is the name, O'GEE on this is spelled with an apostrophe in the name. On Fuller tools, OGEE is spelled with out the apostrophe. MOre than likely they are the same, but, I'm not 100% positive they are. If you know for sure, leave a comment.

Well there you have it. The O'Gee Portable Circular Saw Crosscut Sled. Something I have never seen before - and now I own one. And one day, I'll put it to use.

Till  next time people...
Stay creative, and by all means, stay Happy!
cheers...

Comments