How to put a Wooden Peg in a Wooden Hole - And how not to!


I haven't posted in a couple weeks but I have a few projects I'm currently working on coming up I think you're going to like. One such project requires a couple wooden dowels driven into a couple wooden holes. Simple right!? Well it is, if you know how to do it the correct way. And if you don't do it the right way you might end up with something that looks like the opening image.

If you already know how to put a Wooden peg in a wooden hole, let this serve as a reminder of just why it's done that way. If you don't know the correct way, well Grasshopper, you're about to learn something new.

And I'll be quick and short about explaining how to do it as it's rather simple and easy. I'll also show you what I did, that is a perfect example of the wrong way even though I know how to do it the correct way but thought I could escape possible disaster. Because honestly, sometimes you can get away with not doing it properly. "Sometimes" being the word to pay attention to in that sentence.

The situation is, I found that perfect board for my project. Not the only board in the world suited, but the only one I found that was scrap, which saved me the cost of buying a whole new board since I only needed a 11"x 7" piece. It has interesting grain, perfect color for the planned finish, and. it's the right thickness. It's the only board I had that would work. I'm saying that to express it's importance to the project. Because if you get away with not putting a wooden peg in a wooden hole a hundred times the wrong way, it's this type of board, the one that's "important", isn't easily replaced that putting that peg in that hole the improper way... It's going to fail!

That's the first rule you must understand and learn. Comes straight from the mouths of Wood Fairies overseeing the forests and trees world over. And there's no getting around that rule. Period!

Okay so let's get into it. This is how you should put a wooden dowel in a wooden hole...

You got your wood pegs cut and ready. You've got your hole in the wood be it a certain depth or in my case a through hole.


Grab a couple or three 2 by's to set under the piece you're driving the pegs into. If you want the peg flush with the bottom put them right under the hole, kinda like this...


Support the board and the grain around the hole and you're not going to have a problem. Put your glue in the hole, not too much, drive your peg/dowel in the hole using a wooden mallet or a semi hard hammer like you see in the pictures here. Clean off the glue accordingly and you're done.

If you want, and you have a through hole you may want to drive the dowel or peg just past the bottom for sanding. As I did.

Or you may want to drive it farther through. The best, or most proper way is to drill a hole a fair size larger than your dowel and deeper than you plan on driving it in the support board(s). For example, your dowel/hole is 1/2", the support board would have a 3/4" hole drilled into it. You line that hole up with the hole in the board you're driving the peg into before driving the peg or dowel. Again, don't it this way you'll have no issues.

Another way which is still proper but not as good as the afore mentioned way is to set your support boards up on either side of the hole something like this...


Notice in the above image the support boards around the hole on either side go cross grain. That will help keep it from splitting or cracking the wood along the grain.

So how did I screw up you may be wondering. After all, I know how to do it the correct way so it doesn't split or crack the wood. So what the hell happened!? Well I'll tell you so you know what not to do...

As mentioned, I wanted the dowel to go past by a 32nd or so for sanding. Had my boards set up properly to take the dowels to flush, the glue was grabbing, the holes and dowels fit slightly tight. For the first hole I set it up properly cross grain to grab that last 32nd past the hole. On the second hole I was almost a 32nd past I needed that last little bit but it was being stubborn. I flipped the board around to take one more good strike with the hammer and realized almost mid stroke I put the support board going with the grain but not soon enough to pull the hammer strike. And CRACK!! As soon that hammer head hit the dowel and I heard the crack I knew it was over.


Once wood glues bite it can take a good amount of force to drive a tight fitting dowel or peg. And given the nature of this piece of wood, the knots, the burling, the grain direction and placement on the support boards it was inevitable it would break on that strike...

It only took the one strike to split it two places. I broke it all the way hoping I might be able to save it but the wood is too busy and I don't think it'll clamp up and seam nicely. So you end with a broken piece of cool looking wood. Ah hell, who am kidding, I know it won't.


I'll just have to find another. Who knows, I may find a better one. I really wanted the grain to go long ways anyhow in after thought... No excuse but, what can I say. It was a stupid foolish mistake on my part. The Wood Fairies don't lie guys and gals, they don't lie...

So I'll save these pieces for something smaller and make use of them in some form or fashion.

So now you know how to put a wooden dowel or peg in a wooden hole the proper way and what could happen if you don't. It's disheartening when it goes wrong and this is just pine. If this were Brazilian Rosewood, Walnut or some other exotic wood, I'd be extremely upset with myself at such a silly mistake. So learn from my mistake, so you don't make the same mistake.

Coming up!
As mentioned in the beginning of this post I've got few projects I've been working on, including the one this was for. I'm trying out some new finishes for the first time so I'm eager to see how they turn out.. I'm revisiting a past project which I've greatly improved. Some cool shit coming up restoration and diy build wise. I think you're going to enjoy them.

So check back or subscribe to the blog if you care to. The subscribe link is straight way up top there if you're looking for it.

Till the next post, you all take care.
Stay creative, dang sure try to stay Happy!
You only got one life... Make the best of it.

Cheers...

Comments