Vintage Hip Toolbox Refurbished

The project I did today is a vintage all metal toolbox. One that is referred to as a "Hip-Roof" toolbox. And no, it's not a roofers toolbox per say though I suppose roofers do use them. It's called that due to the shape of the lid.


To me this would be more likely called a Gable-Roof than a Hip-Roof toolbox. As you can see the difference below between what a Gable and Hip roof shape looks like. A Gable roof has two sloping sides and a Hip roof all four sides slope.


They do make true Hip-Roof toolboxes, so one can only presume that today they refer to any toolbox with a sloped lid a Hip-Roof toolbox. That way if you really want a true Hip-Roof Toolbox or a Gable-Roof toolbox it makes one or the other difficult to find. More human brilliance at play. Anyway...

This project is one that's been sitting on a shelf for a while for a few reasons One, it had tools in it and two, I didn't intend on keeping it as it's not the type I need. And that's just for starters.

To give you some background on it. It too was a discarded item. In fact, the mini torpedo level I refinished was inside when I got it. My guess it's from the late 60's or 70's given the contents. Water had gotten inside or on it and dripped inside at one point or over time indicated by the rusting areas but more importantly it smelled like it hadn't been opened in 30 or more years with a heavy smell of mildew. It smelled strong and bad. Even after I cleaned it with bleach it still stunk when you opened it. Despite the oder I used it to store some tools.

Even in refinishing it, I wasn't planning on going as far as I did. I don't particularly like these kind of tool boxes. I prefer the type with drawers so I can organize my tools. I don't have one, but I prefer them. That said there's are good for loading and carrying select tools to another location.

Be that as it may, in opening the lid fetching a tool from it, something had to be done. I couldn't stand the smell and didn't want it impregnating my tools within.

First I did was to polished the chrome pieces. The handle and  latch parts.



They came out nice...

Let me sand the top and see what's going on with the metal. It didn't look bad. Mainly surface rust and not much of it. Sorry no before pics but I am trying to remember to take them as I go.


Now this is where I stopped and thought about what I was doing. Meaning, why am I going to refurbish this thing when I don't even really like it, let alone won't use it and could never get the cost of refurbishing it if I choose to sell it? Why do this?

Given my cost of paint, and the several days it would take to do it right I decided, "You know what? I'm just going to donate it" but let me just sand the inside so the person that gets it can paint it if they want with little to do. So I did...


Then I said to myself, "You know, the lid doesn't close quite right, let me fix that before I donate it as well." So I did...


Apparently during manufacturing they didn't finish the bend in the metal properly as you can see above. So I completed the curved bend and now it closed properly. Everything lined up.

Then in looking at the tray I noticed they didn't solder or rivet the corners. And I thought to myself. "Self. You know, I've got a small rivet gun and can fix that right quick. That'll save whomever gets it the trouble in case they don't have the tool." So... I fixed that too...


I would've preferred to use either a semi-tube, tube or even a solid rivet. But I don't have the tools to clinch them or peen them over. Plus finding rivets locally, who's got them? Or where can I find the hand tools. You know, the kind you hit with a hammer? Pnuematic rivet guns I can find. But manual ones..  I haven't a clue where to get them. But I'd sure like a set. Wink wink, hint, hint.

Now I already have a few hours into it but that's it I've told myself. It's getting donated. But what about the tray..  it's got some grease or oil on the paint.

Okay, okay I think to myself. I'll just clean it up with some degreaser get the black out of it, then take it over to the donation place.

And this is where things changed on how far I was going to go with this tool box.

Standard household degreaser... Stripped the freaking paint off the tray!




Who in there right mind paints the inside tray of a toolbox with paint that can't be cleaned with degreaser? Apparently whomever made this toolbox, that's who. Unbelievable...

Well, now I can't donate this toolbox in this condition. I have to at least paint the tray. Right? Geez.

Lucky I still had some red in a rattle can. Just barely enough to paint it properly I might add.

So I prepped it up. And treated the metal with phosphoric acid which is the discoloration you see below.


And I had some primer, meant for another project.. might as well use that on this. And aah, the heck with it! If I'm going to paint the tray, I might as well finish the refurbish and paint the whole thing..

So I finished prepping up the main box, got it masked off. And primed then both up where needed with a light prime coat as most of the paint I used states "Paint + Primer" on the can so I shouldn't need a full coverage, except where the bare metal was.




This is an automotive rattle can primer by Krylon that does lay down nicely. Plus I like the fan spray nozzle.

Next came the top coat.

Red for the tray...


Another Krylon rattle can paint. High gloss red with again a fan nozzle. Unfortunately, it started spitting, so the finish is nice but it could've been better. Damn these rattle cans!

For the box itself I went with a Krylon Metallic Silver for the interior...


And for the exterior I went with a Rust-Oleum Cobalt Blue Metallic...


The Cobalt Blue is something I was going to return but rather than taking more time I decided to go ahead and use it.

The reason I was going to return it was people were saying online, though it is supposed to be high gloss, which it claims it is, it's not very glossy. And... the Cobalt Blue is more a purple/blue or even like a purple/blue chameleon paint depending on the light.

And it is both those things. Not very glossy, and not the color of the can in the sun light. More of a purple blue. Inside under daylight LED, it turns more blue. It does not photograph well. But you can see in the below collage the color variations and the purple hue it takes depending on lighting and viewing angle.



I preferred the color on the cap of the can than the actual color. But under inside light as it dried, it doesn't look bad. It's the fine metallic I was looking for as far as particle size.

A note for those interested in this paint. It has a typical rattle can spray nozzle. A Spray any angle feature and it did spray upside down. You have to remove the nozzle to clean and clear it.

Depending on the metallic paint, but especially with rattle cans you can almost bet you're going to have to clear coat and this Rust-Oleum Cobalt Blue Metallic is clearly a paint that needs a clear coat.

Rattle can clear coats make me nervous. Why? Because I've yet to have one go on and not react with the paint. Even from the same supposed blend from the same company. Namely Rust-Oleum brand. You never know if you're going to end up having to redo the paint job using one of the clear coats.

Hands down I prefer 2 part paints. Very seldom do I ever have a problem with them. But they're costly. Usually sold in quarts and gallons. I'm considering starting to keep some but I don't really paint enough or use it fast enough to warrant buying it.

Like I said though, this Cobalt Blue Metallic needs a high gloss clear coat to finish it off. It'll make it pop and be ten times more durable.

Anyway, everything is in the curing/clean room I have. Well, that's what I call it. More a storage area that stays clean.

In a couple days I'll pull it all out and try a clear coat on the box.

I'll be adding some details and enhancements to finish it out.  I'll take some pics and show you the final results. But it does have to cure before I start adding embellishments. At least a week I figure.

And yeah.. I went for a red, white and blue kinda thing on this one. But white wasn't going to cut it for the interior I felt, so metallic silver was the next best choice.

Am I going still going to donate it?
Oh, Hell No! This ain't no freebie give away no more. Lol

Till next time,
Stay creative, and most certainly, stay Happy.
Cheers...

Update:
For those interested, here's a sneak peak at how the box is turning out after the initial paint. Taken the next day after the paint dried...


I'll be back with more pics once completed.

UPDATE 2:

This project has evolved into a 2 part project. The follow up post link is here:

Vintage Hip Tool Box Revisited.

Cheers...

Comments

  1. Your toolbox turned out great! I love that you went the extra mile with your additions. I too have had issues with rattlecan craze! I emailed Rustoleum and of course it was my fault not theirs. So frustrating! This Christmas i want my own paint sprayer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks happyquilter!
      I used an little 8oz detail spray gun for the 2K clear coat on this one. It's big enough for the type work I'm doing and they don't require a huge compressor to run them. In fact, I used it recently to spray some oil based spar urethane on some cabinets i was installing for a friend in a Utility room I was making over for them. They turned out great! I may post about the utility room makeover - it's almost done. Just a couple more things to finish up. Once you have and start using a spray gun - it's a night and day difference on the finish.

      Delete
  2. Nice job! I picked up an old hip roof Snap On toolbox today while I was dropping some metal off at the county recycling center. The toolbox was sitting there looking for a new home. I asked the guy if I could take it, he said sure, take it away. It's a bit beat up, but the top opens OK. It's a drop front with two drawers and they both slide ou. Also has a tote tray in the top section. I may clean it up and paint it in OEM Snap On Red. Hope it comes out as good as yours did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the complement William! A Snap-On! Lucky you for sure. Wanna trade? (lol)
      I know this project got a little long as did the blog post on it.
      I don't know if you checked out the part two
      https://ccanade.blogspot.com/2019/04/vintage-hip-toolbox-refurbish-revisited.html
      or the final on this Hip Tool Box
      https://ccanade.blogspot.com/2019/06/vintage-hip-toolbox-restoration.html

      I went a little overboard on this box. lol
      But it was a fun project and should last decades to come taken care of.
      If you do refurbish yours - come back and post a link to a pic - I'd love to see it for sure!

      Cheers...

      Delete

Post a Comment