Wing Cover v3 - Jiggle - Vertex maps - Wind and Turbulance - C4D R13

I'm not going to be posting for a while.Totally sucks... at least from my stand point that is, but, hopefully things will take a turn for the better and it won't be a long while.
I did want to post at least one method of animating the Wing Covers that I experimented with for a few days. Even though it doesn't involve using the Cloth Tag, it is effective and rather simple to use once the settings are tweaked out.

That being using the Jiggle Effector or Jiggler as some refer to it.

But first let me step back a bit and retouch on the Collision Deformer for a moment.

Something I have found when using the Collision Deformer is when adding the collider object, the object that has the Collision Deformer added to it jumps away from the Collider.
I've had this happen several times when applying this feature in C4D R13. and you may have have had it happen as well.

I'm not sure what causes this to happen, I've had it happen and then built a simple Plane and Object added the Collision Deformer and it worked as expected on those objects.
It may be due to the objects being to close to one another or the order in which the Collision Deformer was applied or... who knows.

When this does happen I have noticed sometimes when attempting to move the Collider Object into the Collision Object both move at the same time. Even though only the Collider Object was selected.
I've tried everything I could think of to correct the problem, deleting one or the other and rebuilding them. Gone through all the settings, etc etc. And no matter what I did, I couldn't fix it. The only way I found to fix ii was to close C4D and start over.

So if this is happens to you, just letting you know, you're not alone.
Moving on...

I build a simple 7 rib with Wing Cover wing using the Collision Deformer as shown you I was doing in previous posts.


As you can see, I'm choosing to use just a slight deform on the wing cover created by the ribs. About .0095 or 3/32nds of an inch of collision deform on the inside.
Just enough to show a hint of the the ribs under the wing cover.
I'll be further refining it for my final but for now this should be good enough so you can see what I'm doing.

Once built I added the Jiggle Effector to the plane or wing cover in this case.
You can find the Jiggle Effector where you see the Bend Effector Icon in the Tool bar at the top in C4D.
About the Jiggle Effector in R13.

Some things have changed from previous versions of C4D from what I've seen.
Before when adding your Point Vertex Map it was added it to the Jiggle Object Tab to a slot called Points or Point Resistance.

Now there is a tab called "Resistance" - You'll put your Resistance Vertex Maps there.
Of course there is still your Structure and other slots as before for Vertex Maps in the Jiggle Object Panel as before.

In the "Resistance" Tab you can add several Vertex Maps and are not limited to a single Point Vertex Maps as you were before.

Below is a simple Point Map.


How you paint your Vertex Map is up to you. Personally, I prefer using the Paint Brush since it has more features and control.

However, I have also used the simple point map painter - such as I used to create the Vertex Map seen above. Keep in mind you can bring Vertex Maps created by either method into either method and make changes later on.

When painting a Vertex Map whether using the Point or Paint Brush method.
Yellow is for 100% and Red is for 0% and gradients from Yellow to Red for everything in between.
Experiment with it and find what you like best for your needs.

For these next to video examples using Vertex Maps I added Wind and Turbulence.

There is two types of "Wind" that I have found thus far in C4D.

The Wind in the panel were the Bend Deformer and Collision Deformer are, is a simpler type.
You might use this to create a Flag waving as it uses from what I see a simple wave form generator to manipulate the object it is applied to.

The other is located in "Simulate" -> "Particles" -> Wind

This is the one I used for the below example videos. It has a lot more control and features.
To add Wind to the Jiggle - add it to the "Forces" Tab.

In the first video, "Part A" a simple open ended Vertex Map was made similar to the above image with Smoothing and Bleeding added.

As well it was a very ruff painting. Far less than perfectly aligned selected points. As a matter of fact I crossed over one of the Ribs I later noticed.

That said, I really liked the end result in the fact is was less than perfect and really generated a somewhat more natural effect I felt with once the Wind was applied.

You might use this type Vertex Map for say a Parachute or Kite Board Wing Sail or even a Glider Wing with an double opened ended Wing Cover.


In Part B below - this was a more carefully created Vertex Map. Though again, not perfectly painted with points perfectly aligned.
- just closer aligned points and close ended on the leading edge of the wing.
And of course I made sure I didn't cross over a rib... well duh, right...?

This type example is more like what I'll be using for my 1913 and 1916 Gliders as the Wing Covers are meant to be tacked and glued along the leading edge.

In both video Samples above I exaggerated the Wind Force and Turbulence so you could see the effect more clearly.

That's all for now, and I hope you got a little inspired by the above enough to try some of these effectors and experiment with them for your own project.

Next time I'm able to work on this project and post - it will be using Cloth tags.
As mentioned, hhopefully that will be sooner than later.

Till then, Happy Rendering.
- chase -

Comments