I downloaded a copy of "the Boy Mechanic Book 2" published in 1916 and with-in were two more Gliders.
A Tandem Glider and a Mono wing Glider. There are considerable differences between all three designs.

One notable difference is the Mono and 1913 Glider suggest a maximum of a 15mph head wind while the Tandem suggest not over a 30mph head wind. And it states it is more stable than the Bi-Winged version from 1913 and the Mono winged version included in Book 2.

The look of the Tandem Glider is pretty cool, so I started the initial layout of the frame for it last night. The directions definitely leave quite a bit up to the builder to figure out how it goes together. I'm a little perplexed as the directions and the sketches really don't make a whole lot of sense when it comes to actually putting it together. But I'm giving it my best shot.

Below is my best guess for the moment as to how the frame goes together, though I can see a few different ways it's possible given the materials they call for and the way they describe it's construction.


Here I added the mock-up of the wing covers which they did clue a little more than the 1913 as to the height of the curve crest and is a more modern shape with the curve peak towards the front of the wing. I also added a cut-out of some people to give a visual of the scale.



The Wing Covers and Dynamics:

I watched "How to Train your Dragon" last night and there is a scene where the Night Dragon is flying that I really liked how it's wings were animated. I hope I can figure out how to get that type of look with the wing covers and frame dynamics. Though I will admit at this time - I haven't figured out exactly how to do so yet. It's going to have to be a high poly count I'm assuming.

Hopefully I can find a tutorial or two on the subject for C4D, Blender and a couple other apps on how to accomplish and go about building it correctly.

Till next time
- chase -

Leave a Reply